It’s the time of year when we rehash the year with lists, so here’s my year in music. It’s courtesy of Spotify Unwrapped again, which is still a goofy, app-only, mess of a user interface. But oh well, the basics are there.
I listened to 47,914 minutes of music (more than 91% of users), accounting for 5,964 songs, 2,691 different artists, and 83 different genres. (Here are last year’s stats for the sake of comparison.) I play music while I work, often tuning the music out if I’m really focused, so that’s why I have such ridiculous stats.
Supposedly my top five genres are indie pop, pop, stomp and holler, rock, and alt z (what is alt z?).
- “Hot & Heavy” by Lucy Dacus (41 times)
- “Holiday (Green Day)” by Half Past Two
- “Glowing Review” by Maisie Peters
- “Love Me More” by Mitski
- “The Story of Us” by Taylor Swift
I’m always looking for a good ear worm, so here are some highlights from my top 100 songs:
- “The Last Great Sweetheart of the Grand Electric Rodeo” by Sarah and the Safe Word
- “Cannonball” by Avril Lavigne
- “My World” by Koren Grace
- “Who Are You” by Diet Cig
- “Growing Up” by The Linda Lindas
- “Raise Up” by Semler
- “Got Away” by Kady Rain
- “Under You” by Charly Bliss
- “F*****g Up What Matters” by Tegan and Sara
- “Road to Paradise” by TAT
- “Rehab” by People Planet
- “Full Metal Black” by The Royal They
- “Irrelevant” by P!nk
- “Gay Kids” by Rachel Kurtz
- “Scotty Doesn’t Know” by Maddie Ross
My Top 5 Artists:
- U2 – I listened to 2,236 minutes of their music. That puts me in the top 0.1% of their listeners. No real surprise there.
- Five Iron Frenzy – I listened to a lot of Five Iron leading up to their Denver show, so no big surprise there either.
- Maisie Peters – She’s one of my favorite new discoveries this year.
- Taylor Swift – I don’t even think I listened to her new album that much, so it’s probably older stuff.
- Tegan and Sara – Between their new album and the debut of their High School TV show (which is 1990s retro wonderful), I’ve had them on repeat.
Last year my top 3 were Five Iron, U2, and Taylor Swift, so I guess things haven’t changed much?