So Spotify does this clever thing where they look at your listening stats and spit out a bunch of fun data. Unfortunately, they do it in this goofy app experience that’s pretty awful. But I pulled out the fun bits…
I listened to 43,344 minutes of music (more than 90% of users), accounting for 2,358 different artists, and 166 different genres.
Supposedly my top five genres are indie pop, ska, stomp and holler, bubble grunge, permanent wave. (I don’t know what half those words mean.)
I play Spotify while I work, so that helps explain some of those numbers. I’m a writer, so I sit at my desk all day long. So it plays all day. I try to create lots of lists to have some variety, but every now and then I find something I like and put it on repeat. That usually shows in these year-end stat things.
Top song: “While Supplies Last” by Five Iron Frenzy, played a whopping 78 times.
Turns out my top five songs are all Five Iron:
- “While Supplies Last”
- “Homelessly Devoted to You”
- “So We Sing”
- “Lonesome for Her Heroes”
(Guess who was playing FIF’s new album, Until This Shakes Apart, on repeat.)
Sometimes it’s fun to find that really catchy song, so here are a few highlights from my top 100 list:
- #6 “Want Me” by Baby Queen
- #7 “Green Eyes” by JOSEPH
- #8 “Garden” by Meet Me @ The Altar
- #11 “Just Fucking Let Me Love You” by Lowen
- #15 “Light of a Clear Blue Morning” by Dolly Parton
- #16 “I NEED YOU” by Jon Batiste
- #18 “Pay No Rent” by Delta Rae
- #34 “Wake Up Romeo” by Caro Emerald (Pisk remix)
- #41 “Infinite” by Goldfinger
- #42 “Good Trouble” by Leigh Nash and Ruby Amanfu
- #50 “Five More Minutes” by The War and Treaty
- #59 “detonate” by Charli XCX
- #62 “Hot Mess” by GIRLI
- #65 “All You Fascists Bound to Lose” by Resistance Revival Chorus with Rhiannon Giddens
- #66 “Leave If You Wanna” by Overcoats
- #76 “dead girl in the pool” by girl in red
- #85 “Rebel Girl” by The Linda Lindas
- #86 “This Song Is Not About Boys” by Rebecca Levy
My Top 5 Artists:
- Five Iron Frenzy – I listened to 2,813 minutes of their ear-bleeding ska. That puts me in the top 0.1% of their listeners (yay, I guess?).
- U2 – No surprise there.
- Taylor Swift – Surprise here—I’m not exactly her demographic, but love it. “Exile” w/ Bon Iver and “Love Story” are probably my favorites.
- Sia – Her voice is a little odd, but wow is her music catchy. I’ve keep hearing her songs pop up in commercials. “Saved My Life” hit my top 100 songs.
- Kelsy Karter – Big surprise here. I had to look up who she was. I think I must have put her catalog on repeat a couple times. Stand out songs include “Catch Me If You Can,” “Goodness Gracious,” and “Love Me or Hate Me.”
Somewhat ironically, there are no songs by U2 or Kelsy Karter in my top 100 songs (and Taylor Swift only comes in at #100). I’m guessing that means I just played a lot of different songs by those artists.
I play Spotify while I work. I’m a writer, so I sit at my desk all day long. So it plays all day. I try to create lots of lists to have some variety, but I often find something I like and put it on repeat. That usually shows in these year-end stat things.