Holy Week began yesterday morning with the waving of the palms. We stood outside our church on the corner of Ford Parkway and Macalester, savoring the little bit of sun that offered warmth against the bitter Minnesota cold. It may have been the first day of spring, but it was still in the 30s. We waved our palms to sing Hosanna, to fight back the cold, to celebrate the march toward Easter.
So with that backdrop I offer an Easter music list.
I’m always making mix CDs for my wife, and as I started another list for her, I realized I was collecting a lot of gospel songs. Most of my mixes are pretty random, so I decided to lean into the theme.
The result is a collection of music that speaks to faith and spirituality and hope and the gospel. I’m well beyond saying this is “Christian” music, but it is a collection of hymns, psalms and laments, tinged with that old-time gospel sound.
- “Little Light” by The Eagle Rock Gospel Singers
- “What Wondrous Love Is This? by Chelsea Moon & The Franz Brothers
- “Not Enough” by Caedmon’s Call
- “Here it Comes” by Romantica
- “He Never Said a Mumblin’ Word” by The Welcome Wagon
- “The Man Comes Around” by Johnny Cash
- “Purpose (live)” by Cloud Cult
- “Hand in Hand” by Jayanthi Kyle
- “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (Rattle & Hum movie version)” by U2
- “Be Thou My Vision” by Ginny Owens
- “All the Poor and Powerless” by All Sons & Daughters
- “The Transfiguration” by Sufjan Stevens
- “Lamb of God, Have Mercy” by Gospel Machine
- “People of God” by Gungor
- “Poor Man’s Son” by Noah Gundersen
- “This Little Light” by Mavis Staples
- “This No More” by The Vespers
- “Amazing Grace (featuring The Lily of the Valley Gospel Choir)” by Justin McRoberts
- “40 (live)” by U2