A growing collection of Ethiopia-related resources and links.
- AHOPE – Caring for HIV+ orphans in Ethiopia.
- A Glimmer of Hope – Helping Ethiopia’s rural poor lift themselves out of poverty.
- charity: water – An organization that funds wells around the world, though 35% of their wells have been in Ethiopia. (You can support my charity: water project that will fund a well in Ethiopia.)
- CHSFS-Ethiopia – Projects of Children’s Home Society & Family Services-Ethiopia.
- Ethiopia Reads – Creating a culture of reading in Ethiopia by connecting kids with books.
- Fistula Foundation – Founded in 1974, the Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital has restored the lives and hopes of more than 32,000 women who would have otherwise perished or suffered lifelong complications brought on by childbirth injuries, specifically obstetric fistula.
- Kidmia – Supporting Ethiopian orphans and adoption by Ethiopians.
- Ethiopian Adoption Blogs – A curated selection of more than 1,250 blogs by families who have adopted or are adopting from Ethiopia.
- Held at a Distance: A Rediscovery of Ethiopia by Rebecca Haile (memoir)
- Beneath the Lion’s Gaze by Maaza Mengiste (novel)
- Notes from the Hyena’s Belly: An Ethiopian Boyhood by Nega Mezlekia (memoir)
- Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (novel)
Books (Ethiopian Adoption):
- This is a Soul: The Mission of Rick Hodes by Marilyn Berger
- There is No Me Without You: One Woman’s Odyssey to Rescue Her Country’s Children by Melissa Fay Greene
- Addition by Adoption: Kids, Causes & 140 Characters by Kevin D. Hendricks (yeah, that’s my book)
Children’s Picture Books (fiction):
- The Perfect Orange: A Tale from Ethiopia by Frank P. Araujo
- Faraway Home by Jane Kurtz
- Fire on the Mountain by Jane Kurtz
- Only a Pigeon by Jane Kurtz
- Saba: Under the Hyena’s Foot by Jane Kurtz (also available from Ethiopia Reads)
- Trouble by Jane Kurtz
- Coming Soon: Yafi’s Family: An Ethiopian Boy’s Journey of Love, Loss and Adoption by Linda Pettitt (published by Amharic Kids)
- The Lion’s Whiskers: An Ethiopian Folktale by Nancy Raines Day
Children’s Picture Books (non-fiction):
- Ethiopian Voices: Tsion’s Life by Stacy Bellward (published by Amharic Kids)
- Our First Amharic Words by Stacy Bellward (published by Amharic Kids)
- A Family from Ethiopia by Julia Waterlow
Young Adult Fiction:
- The Return by Sonia Levitin
- A Walk to Beautiful – Documentary about the Fistula Foundation.
- Black Gold – Documentary on the plight of Ethiopian coffee farmers.
- The Athlete – Based on the true story of Ethiopian Abebe Bikila who became the first African to win a gold medal in the 1960 Olympics.
- Amharic Kids – Resources that help build cultural pride and teach about Ethiopia. Books, products from Ethiopia, language resources and more.
- Ethiopian Reflections – Ebay store with products made in Ethiopia.
- Ethiopian Kids Community – A community that provides support and connection for families with Ethiopian American children.
- Summer Mehaber – The annual summer picnic of the Ethiopian Kids Community.
- Ethiopians for Ethiopians – A community with groups in the Twin Cities, Chicago and Washington, D.C., that connects families with Ethiopia.
- Adoption Hair & Skincare – Not Ethiopia-specific, but obviously still helpful.
- Ethiopian Adoptive Family Community – Grew out of the original CHSFS forum that was shut down, this forum is now more closely moderated and hopes to be more helpful and less controversial.
- CHSFS Forum – This forum is now closed, but the posts are still live and is a wealth of information (some of it now outdated).
- Ethiopian Adoption Agency Review – A forum strictly focused on reviewing Ethiopian adoption agencies.
- Ethiopia Adoption – A Yahoo group on adoption in Ethiopia.