When we first started our adoption process I added a long list of adoption-related blogs to my reader. It didn’t matter if I knew the person or not. One of the blogs I came across is written by Jody Landers, a mom of six and a huge heart for making people’s lives better. She and some friends have organized a couple of big fundraisers including backpacks/suitcases filled with new PJ’s, toothbrushes, books, and teddy bears to be given to kids who have to abruptly enter into the foster care system.
Their next task however is a big one. They want to raise enough money to make sure the entire world (yes, you read that correctly the ENTIRE WORLD) has clean, safe drinking water. It will cost $10 Billion dollars to dig enough wells for the world. Sounds like a big number, I know. But let’s put it in perspective – Americans alone spend $450 Billion dollars on Christmas. (And that doesn’t even include the money spent on Hannukah, St. Nick, Epiphany, New Year’s, Eid…you get the point). If we can spend that much on one holiday a year, it shouldn’t be hard give up a few extras over the holidays and buy water instead.
Just a few facts:
- 4500 children a day die due to lack of clean water
- Unclean water and lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of all sickness and disease, killing more people every year than all forms of violence, including war.
- 1.1 billion people lack access to clean water.
- 1 in 6 people are affected by the water crisis
- In many parts of the world women and children walk over 3 hours every day for water that will most likely make them sick.
- $20 can give 1 person in Africa clean water for 20 year
They’ve set up a website with facts, FAQs and a place for donations.
There are simple ways you can help:
- Spread the word – blog, e-mail, put it on your facebook page, whatever – just tell people about it.
- Organize a fundraiser (their website has several ideas)
- Give people water for Christmas (or ask for water instead of gifts)
- Add their button to your website
Alright, now go spread the word.causes | Comments (2)