As I’ve been talking about water all month I realize that it’s hard to grasp some of the numbers. So let’s get a little perspective. One billion people in this world lack access to clean water.
- That’s 1 in 6 people.
- That’s 5 times the number of active users on Facebook (currently at 200 million).
- That’s 33 times the number of Twitter users (currently at 30 million).
- That’s more than 3 times the total population of the United States.
Another number I’ve been throwing around is that this lack of access to clean water kills 42,000 people every week (90% of them children). That’s roughly 2.2 million people every year dying from dirty water.
- That’s more people than HIV/AIDS kills every year (2.04 million, so it’s pretty close).
- That’s way more people than die in traffic accidents every year (1.27 million).
- That’s more than the total population of New Mexico (or 15 other states, take your pick).